Skip to main content

Plot csv data using D3.js

I tried my first D3.js data visualization using csv data source


My 'graph' would plot circles, where the x position of the circle would represent the value of the second column (file size) in my csv. The larger files would be plotted to the right.

I posted my example d3csv.html at https://github.com/binodpanta/webvisualizer

I should be able to do some more interesting things with this, such as realtime monitor files.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to write and test Node.JS code that performs mutiple async tasks

This is currently WIP, I will fill in more details but it's a good starting version that is still hopefully useful to the reader... Recently I worked on a project that involved scheduling a number of tasks in parallel in Node.js. Running mutiple tasks I used the await-the library to do this. https://github.com/olono/await-the/blob/master/lib/result.js There are multiple ways to solve this kind of problem. Mainly you have to understand the Node.js is a single threaded environment (See Event loop) and how callbacks operate with a library like async or await-the. Basically, here idea was that you write a function that has a callback as its last argument ```   const doTask = async (arg1, callback) {    const results = await doStuffWith(arg1) ;    callback(results); } ``` Then perform this action on multiple inputs in parallel such as by using the excellent async.mapLimit function if you want to limit how many tasks in parallel you want to to...

Two cool ways to center content in CSS

You may have seen this question, center a div, or whatever, in interviews or other places. I am sure there are other approaches than I am sharing here, but I found these two cool ideas from multiple places (see refs at the end). These are not my original ideas so I will be sure to share where I learned these from:   Using display:flex  Make sure you know how flex works, but to do centering with flex, it's ridiculously simple: div .container { display : flex ; justify-content : center ; /* horizontal alignment */ align-items : center ; /* vertical alignment */ flex-direction : column ; /* since we are doing a vertical column */ padding : 1rem 3rem ; /* not related to centering */ }  Now everything inside <div class="container"> </div> will be centered in both directions! Using display:grid  You are so going to thank for me this one, you are welcome. This one is so simple it does not even need an explanation does it?   div .conta...

Sending Form data to a backend REST API using Axios

This need is incredibly common and useful, and hopefully will save you a lot of time when doing server side calls from your UI application (or even non UI clients like NodeJS applications) Example here is to send a POST request to an endoint /api/item/new (which will create a new item in the database). We will just assume tbhe backend is already setup (it's not relevant to this article). All we need to know is that we can do a POST /api/item/new and send it form data with two pieces of info     name, filter So, if you have a node.js application (I was using Vue-cli generated project, but it does not matter), install 'axios' (a most popular tool to make server calls these days) npm i axios --save OR yarn add axios (my preferred method) Now, in your service JS file (which is generally when I keep all my api calls) do something like this createNew ( name , filter ) { let formData = new FormData (); formData . append ( "name" , ...